The Bible offers a detailed description that serves as the Christian Declaration of Independence. Christians enjoy liberty in Christ that no country or political system can match. That perfect freedom comes under attack constantly, but we have a God who protects us from losing that wonderful liberty.
The joy of our freedom in Christ can be seen in how we treat others and how we serve God, and even when we don’t realize people are watching, our Christian-based clothing offers evidence of our relationship to God. By showcasing the reason behind our joyful liberty, we can point others to Christ.
This post explains our freedom in Christ and why Christians should celebrate the victory Jesus gave us over sin and death. Reminding ourselves of what Christ accomplished for the world can encourage us to share his love with others. As Christians, we can use our faith-based clothing to connect people to a loving father who has freed us and continually fights for our freedom.
Understanding What Our Freedom Means
You can’t exercise your freedom unless you understand the details of your liberty. Often when we think of “freedom” we think of freedom from something, such as tyranny and oppression. One aspect of our freedom in Christ aligns closely with our traditional ideas of freedom. Freedom in Christ gives us:
- Freedom from the penalty of sin: We can never earn eternal life. Sin blocks the way, and the penalty for sin is death (Romans 6:23). Because everyone sins (Romans 3:23), God sent his son Jesus to die for the sins of the world so that all who believe in Jesus can have eternal life (Romans 5:8). Trusting in Christ’s finished work on the cross means we don’t have to suffer the penalty of death but can enjoy eternal life with Jesus in Heaven.
- Freedom from the power of sin: In our Christian lives, the Devil consistently and persistently attempts to pressure us to sin (1 Peter 5:8). The Bible encourages Christians to stand firm against this attack and to remember that we’re part of a family of believers all going through the same kinds of trials. While we’ll never reach sinless perfection here on Earth, we can encourage each other in our faith to rely on God and resist temptations. Sin doesn’t have to chain us because we have God fighting for us. When we feel discouraged, we can turn to him (1 Peter 5:7). When we’re struggling to discern how to move forward, we can trust fully and completely in God’s wisdom and not our own (Proverbs 3:5). We never have to succumb to the power of sin.
God’s message of love and freedom can be enjoyed by anyone who believes. We can spread that message by telling others about him and what Jesus did on the cross, but we can also wear Christian-based clothing that shows our connection to him. When we openly link ourselves to Christ, we give him the glory and show others the reason for our joy.
How to Live for God Because of Our Freedom in Christ
Another aspect of our freedom in Christ is that we have the freedom for something—we have the freedom to live for Jesus. It may seem easy to think that once we believe we have the freedom to do whatever we like. While we do have the freedom to choose, the power of God gives us the freedom to live for him in all that we do. Because we have God in our lives, we should strive to do what God wants us to do instead of just doing whatever we like.
When we choose to believe in Jesus and what he did on the cross, we choose to love. We choose to love and follow after God and magnify Him in all that we do. Because of our sinful nature, that may seem difficult at times, but we can rely on God and our fellow Christians to encourage and strengthen our hearts to live in a way that pleases God. To enjoy our freedom in Christ, we can do some things to make living for him even easier:
- Know His will: God has a plan for everyone, but knowing it takes some work. You have to invest time into your relationship with God to understand His plans for you. Sometimes those plans may seem terrifying, but God’s plan is always good (Romans 8:28). We can be encouraged that as long as we’re living according to God’s will, His plan will always be for our good and
- His glory. The Bible offers a great starting place to know and understand God’s will. His word is not an instruction booklet but a way to get to know him better. By knowing who God is, we can better understand how to make choices in our lives that align with His character. Our goal as Christians is to constantly copy Christ’s character. The best way to do this is to know it.
- Know who God is: The Bible offers a blueprint of God’s character. Studying His word gives us access to important details of how to live and love those around us, but we can push that knowledge further by ensuring we continue to meet with fellow Christians. Gathering in fellowship with other believers as a church and hearing the wisdom of God’s word can encourage our hearts and help us to know
- Him better. Hebrews 10:25 encourages Christians to not neglect fellowshipping with each other—fellowship activates encouragement and engagement. We can not only encourage each other through trials but also learn more about God by hearing how he is working in the lives of our fellow Christians.
- Know how to talk to God: Communication is the bedrock of any good relationship, and James 4:8 tells us that if we draw close to God, He will get close to us. A great way to draw closer to Him is through prayer. We can communicate with God like we do anyone else. While we should reverence Him and His character, we don’t have to use special language to reach Him. We just need to talk. Just like any other relationship, talking with God can strengthen our relationship with Him as we lay our burdens at His feet and ask for His wisdom and help in specific situations.
Living for God is a freedom to enjoy, not following a set of oppressive rules. The more you get to know God, the more you will want to live for Him. Getting to know God’s character and what Jesus did for us on the cross emphasizes the power and love God has for us. Understanding His love can give us unspeakable joy that can help us through any trial put into our path.
In those moments, when we’re living for God despite the difficulties around us, people are watching. While we should be sharing God’s message of love with others, we share our connection to Him simply by wearing out Christian-based clothing that gives Him the glory in all we do.